Go to gettyimages.com
|Printer-friendly version||Related assets|
GETTY IMAGES’ “THIS IS CANADA” PHOTOGRAPHY COMPETITION INVITES CANADIANS TO CAPTURE AUTHENTIC CANADA
“this is Canada” competition encourages photographers to showcase what makes Canadian life unique
Toronto, April 23, 2012 – Getty Images today announced the launch of “this is Canada”, a photography competition that gives enthusiasts the opportunity to become Getty Images contributors through the Flickr Collection and the chance win a brand new Canon EOS 7D Digital SLR Kit and 2,000 AIR MILES® reward miles**. Starting today and running until May 19, anyone with a camera can participate in Getty Images’ search for authentic Canadian imagery. “this is Canada” provides a platform for the country’s outstanding creative talent to show off their visual definition of Canada.
Whether it’s the sun setting on the lake at a cottage or the first snowfall of the winter or a dynamic urban scene, Getty Images is asking Canadians to submit up to ten of their best images that convey a snapshot of everyday life in Canada. The competition is open to those who find inspiration in the world around them and can capture this through the compelling medium of photography. Since launching the Flickr Collection on Getty Images in 2009, Getty Images has already licensed a range of images from Canadian contributors that include everything from glimpses of everyday life to the special moments that make Canada such a unique place to live.
“The Flickr Collection empowers a global community of photographers to license authentic and regional imagery from around the world,” said Andrew Delaney, Director of Creative Content for Getty Images. “‘this is Canada’ celebrates uniquely Canadian images, everything from iconic Canadian landscapes to Canadians’ way-of-life, and plays an important part in fostering the impressive depth and range of photographic talent that exists within the country.”
Launched in 2009, the Flickr Collection on Getty Images reflects the passion of a community of photographers worldwide and features uniquely personal images. Aspiring photographers who submit their images to the “this is Canada” competition will have the opportunity to add their images to the Flickr Collection and benefit from the global reach and distribution power of Getty Images to help market their photographs.
The images submitted to the “this is Canada” photo competition will be judged by a panel of some of Canada’s foremost photographers and industry experts based on the quality, creativity and artistic merit as well as representation of Canada. The judging panel consists of:
· Sean Davison, SVP Creative Director, MacLaren McCann Canada
· Andrew Delaney, Director of Creative Content, Getty Images
· Carey Ivison, Senior Manager of Creative Services, Scotiabank Canadian Marketing
· Richard Lam, Vancouver B.C. based freelance photographer
Aspiring photographers are invited to show off their Canada and submit up to ten of their favourite images at www.showusyourcanada.ca on or before midnight on May 19, 2012. All submissions to the competition will be eligible for the following prizing and inclusion in a private exhibit in Toronto in June 2012:
· First place: A brand new Canon EOS 7D Digital SLR Kit (approximately $3,000 value), a potential opportunity to partner with Getty Images to offer content through the Flickr Collection on Getty Images’ website, and 2,000 AIR MILES® reward miles**.
· Runner up: A potential opportunity to partner with Getty Images to offer content through the Flickr Collection on Getty Images’ website, and 2,000 AIR MILES® reward miles**.
· People’s Choice Award hands the decision-making over to the public, who will be invited to vote for their favourite image, via the Getty Images Facebook page, from May 26 through June 14. The winner will receive 500 AIR MILES® reward miles**.
For more information on the “this is Canada” competition, including the competition’s rules and regulations, please visit www.showusyourcanada.ca. To view the competition entries, please visit the Flickr Collection at http://www.flickr.com/groups/1905436@N24/. For more information on Getty Images like us on Facebook or follow us on Twitter.
About Getty Images
Getty Images is a leading creator and distributor of still imagery, video and multimedia products, as well as a recognized provider of other forms of premium digital content, including music. Getty Images serves business customers in more than 100 countries and is the first place creative and media professionals turn to discover, purchase and manage images and other digital content. Its award-winning photographers and imagery help customers produce inspiring work which appears every day in the world’s most influential newspapers, magazines, advertising campaigns, films, television programs, books and Web sites. Visit Getty Images at www.gettyimages.com to learn more about how the company is advancing the unique role of digital media in communications and business, and enabling creative ideas to come to life. Additional information on how Getty Images inspires and powers communications can be found on The Getty Images Blog at blog.gettyimages.com as well as on Facebook at www.facebook.com/gettyimages and Twitter at www.twitter.com/gettyimages.com.
- GETTY IMAGES ANNOUNCES 2013 GRANTS FOR EDITORIAL PHOTOGRAPHY
- GETTY IMAGES NAMES TARA M. COMONTE AS CHIEF FINANCIAL OFFICER
- GETTY IMAGES EXPANDS INTO LATIN AMERICA WITH THE ACQUISITION OF G&S IMAGENS DO BRASIL
- GETTY IMAGES PARTNERS WITH PERCOLATE TO SOLVE BRANDS’ SOCIAL, VISUAL CONTENT CREATION NEEDS
- GETTY IMAGES DRIVES THE VISUAL CONVERSATION AT SXSW